Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Decorating 101 - Hanging Art


 Most people hang art too high.


The center of the piece should be 60"-65" above the floor. If the ceilings are especially tall, you can go a little higher. Here is a good example of why not to use the "at eye height" rule as the couple is clearly different heights.


When you are mainly sitting in the room (such as a dining room), the art should be a little lower.


 

If the art is above a piece of furniture, such as a buffet, it should be 6"-12" above the piece of furniture so it all relates.


If the art is a tall vertical piece, hang it so the top third is at the 60"-65" height. This doesn't work if you are hanging more than one piece as in the picture above.



When hanging items in a group, use the lowest frame as the bottom of the grouping. If a row of 3 items vertically, use the middle one as the middle of the grouping.



If you are hanging art by yourself, cut a template from newspaper and stick it to the wall with painters tape so you can stand back and see how it relates to the other furnishings.

These are just a few of the "rules". I hope they were helpful. Do you have a  specific dilemma or question with the rules? Put it in the comments. We can figure it out together.



5 comments:

  1. good tips- i often question myself when i hang pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post! I may go back and re-hang the clock in my dining area now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I think I have some re-hanging to do! Thanks for stopping by Our Journey ... I'm happy you liked our Family Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. My Hubby links I hang things too low, but this shows that I am right, (this time...) Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really helpful post. I think I can learn quite a bit from that!

    ReplyDelete

I read all your comments and truly appreciate them. They make my day a little brighter. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Why not subscribe so you don't miss any of the fun?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...