Monday, February 6, 2012

In the Kitchen - Sweet Potato Apple Salad


This healthy salad is from the South Beach Diet Cookbook, page 135. It's yummy! It definitely needs to be served cold and could stand for a little chiffonade of mint.

1.5 lb sweet potatoes, scrubbed
1 large apple, peeled, cored and cubed
1 large rib celery chopped
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar substitute
Pinch of salt


Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cool. Peel and cut into cubes.

In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, apple and celery

In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice, oil, vinegar, sugar substitute and salt.

Pour the mixture over the potato mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 4 Servings
280 calories, 4 g fat, 3 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 0 cholesterol, 35 mg sodium.

 I thought the orange juice, oil and vinegar mixture was too oily so I increased the orange juice by 1 tablespoon and the vinegar by one teaspoon. I don't use artificial sweetener and used regular granulated sugar.

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, this looks yummy.

    Thanks for leaving your comment about anonymity on my blog. I feel the same way. I hate when friends and family read, so I don't tell many of them about the blog. But some have found it, accidentally, anyway. I feel less odd knowing someone else shares my thoughts about that, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I am now following you on GFC. I would love for you to visit, follow back and maybe even link up on my Monday linky party.
    Thanks
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete

I read all your comments and truly appreciate them. They make my day a little brighter. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Why not subscribe so you don't miss any of the fun?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...